Monday, August 15, 2011

Popcorn experiments

Those who know me know that I pride myself on making good homemade popcorn. None of that microwave or airpopper bullshit; honest to goodness in a pan on the stove homemade popcorn. And not to toot my own horn too much, but it is damn good. Ask anybody who has had it.

I'm not gonna go into how to make popcorn here. It's hard to explain verbally and I imagine you can look it up on YouTube if you don't already know how to do it. But last night I made a triple batch and separated it. I left one-third of it as my standard butter and salt (still Beej's favorite). The other 2/3 were an experiment. A lovely one, at that.

On 1/3 of the already popped popcorn, I drizzled white truffle oil and then salted it. It was very good. It was even better, though, when I added some melted butter, too. I needed more truffle oil than I thought I would, so you'll want to keep tasting it. I do think it needs a bit of butter to sort of bring out that taste, and maybe for texture. And, as I sit here eating left-overs, I'd say it might be better the second day.

The real gem, in my opinion, was rosemary-chipotle popcorn. Clearly I'm on a bit of a rosemary kick, but who can blame me? And really, who would complain? For this one, I chopped maybe 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary and added that to melted butter, then poured that mixture over the popcorn. I then sprinkled maybe 1/8 tsp of chipotle powder and a generous amount of table salt.

FanFREAKINGtastic. As I said, Beej still prefers the classic, and it is darn good, but the rosemary-chipotle is a wonderful discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment