Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pasta with Whiskey, Wine, and Mushrooms

I stole this from The Pioneer Woman, who is a genius. I realize that she likes onions more than I do (and I like onions) and garlic less than I do (and she likes garlic). And that woman loves her heavy cream. I don't tend to love cream sauces, but this was AMAZING. I've adjusted here for onion and cream and for portion (as hers serves 8).

Ingredients

  • 16-24 ounces thickly sliced baby portobello mushrooms
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • black pepper
  • pinch brown sugar
  • 21(more) Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 C. onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 C. dry white wine
  • 6 Tbsp Jack Daniels whiskey
  • 1/4 Chicken broth (I used shrimp stock)
  • Just under 1/2 C. heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 ounces penne, cooked al dente
Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle mushrooms with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
  • In a large pot, heat additional olive oil along with the butter over medium heat. Throw in the sliced onions and a pinch of brown sugar and saute for a couple of minutes, or until beginning to turn translucent. 
  • Pour in wine and whiskey and allow to bubble for a minute or two. Pour in broth and allow the liquid to reduce for a couple of minutes. 
  • I think you can start the pasta now
  • Stir in cream and reduce heat to low. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and simmer until sauce thickens.
  • Toss in cooked pasta, using a little hot pasta water if sauce needs a little thinning. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment