Friday, April 17, 2009

Jamaican Jerk marinade

I LOVE this marinade recipe, which I adapted from Steven Raichlen's The Barbecue Bible, truly the best bbq book I've seen. This marinade is great on salmon. I imagine it'd be good on chicken, too. Salmon or shrimp should marinate for about an hour. Chicken for 3 hours. Pork for 6. I'm providing the full marinade recipe, but I halve it for me and Beej. The full recipe (here) is enough to marinate about 4 lbs of pork, chicken, or seafood.

8 jalapenos with seeds (the recipe calls for 4-15 scotch bonnets, but I don't have those here. Scotch bonnets, by the way, are VERY hot.)
1 bunch scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
2 shallots, halved
1 small red onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 tsp ground allspice
3 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice (or more to taste). This is about two limes
2 Tbsp firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 Tbsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 C. water.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add salt and/or lime juice a necessary. 

Store, tightly covered in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.

We love this on salmon on the grill. SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment