Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Grilled Steak

It's 84 degrees here in sunny Kansas, and I'm thinking maybe we'll grill up some steak. We are, after all, (as I said) in Kansas.

And it occurs to me that I think people make steak overly complicated. I used to be one of those people. Marinades, rubbing it with garlic, putting pieces of garlic cloves into the steak itself. Yep, that was me. And don't get me wrong, I love a good marinade or rub on a ribeye (and oh Fiddlehead steak tips, how I miss you), but the best steak is, I think, uncomplicated.

I have to give credit here to the grillmaster, Dave Pagels. I've adapted his method a tad, but it's Dave who showed me the error of my steak ways. And for that, I'm forever grateful. My cardiologist? Not so much. :)

Here's my steak prep:
I say start with a thick ribeye. That's my steak of choice. But I also like my steak rare, so you might differ.

Let it sit out on the counter for at least a 1/2 hour if you can, so that it's closer to room temp. Then melt some butter (Dave, if I remember correctly, uses olive oil). Brush on a thin layer of butter, then coat with kosher salt and fresh pepper. I like a peppercorn medley, but that's me. I use more salt that it looks like a person should, because a lot of that will fall off on the grill. But it looks a bit like a salt crust.

Do this to both sides.

Grill immediately.

If you can, sear it for 30 seconds on either side, then move it to a lower heat and cook to your own preferred temp. That's it.

I'm telling you, when it comes to steak, simple is best. Throw in some garlic mashed potatoes, and you're a happy camper. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about steak and simplicity. Great post.

    ReplyDelete