Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet and Spicy BBQ

I put out the call to Braden over at Cooking Three Times for a good sweet & spicy BBQ sauce. I'd been trying quite a few out of the BBQ Bible (a book I love) but nothing was quite right. Mostly I was trying to approximate Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. Braden sent me a recipe his dad likes, and Braden's dad is well-known for his grilling expertise.

And with good reason. I tweaked this recipe a bit, but the basics are from Braden's dad. So thanks to Braden, and to his dad.

Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a non-reactive sauce pan. 
Add 1 cup onions, minced  & saute until soft. 

Add
1/2 cup water 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce 
1/4 cup lemon juice 
about 2 tsp pineapple juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tsp molasses 
1 cup Heinz chili sauce 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
2 tsp sriracha
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
dash chipotle powder
approx 1 Tbsp strong strong coffee
1 teaspoon paprika 
1 teaspoon yellow mustard 
2 teaspoons chili powder
Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment