Friday, September 25, 2009

Truffle Oil Follow Up

Follow up: black truffle oil is amazing. I pretty much succeeded in recreating the sandwich I wanted to. Let's be clear: this is a simple recipe. I've posted it before, I think. I sauteed a lot of (1-1.5 cups) sliced baby bellas in a little butter, garlic, and salt. Spread those mushrooms and garlic on some good bread (cut a small loaf, this time of 3 cheese bread, in half, then in half length wise, so that I have two slabs of bread, crust side down, of course), put some fresh mozz on it, and put it in a 300 degree oven for maybe 7 minutes or so, till the cheese has started to melt. Then I broil it for a minute or so until the cheese is just a smidge bubbly.
This is nothing revolutionary, nothing new. Often I put onions on it, too, sometimes olives, sometimes basil. But this time I just went with mushrooms and a two chopped cloves of garlic. Because I knew I had this black truffle oil, and I wanted to be able to taste it. So I took it the mushroom cheese bread out of the oven, let it sit for just 30-60 seconds or so, then drizzled the truffle oil over the top and added just a touch of sea salt.


Oh. my. GLORY! It was sooooooo good. And it was better, honestly, simply for the truffle oil. Totally worth the $, fyi.

1 comment: